Sunday 17 December 2017

A Long over due post!

Last week at the club we had a game of "Canvas Eagles!" a WW1 aircraft game. I did play but I contributed nothing on the way of planes or terrain. So neither applaud me nor criticise me as I was but a mere player.

Some players think terrain is important, others think well painted figures yet others think it all comes down to the rules. The rules for this game are very good but you will never understand that from photos. And teh game DOES play very well indeed but for me I would like it a little more pleasing on the eye. But that is my only complaint!

I flew an Albatross III a german plane it is a good alrounder but fails to excel in any areas but then again nor does it have very many weaknesses given the time frame we were allotted. So generally I was quite happy.

Over the course of the day I had 2 planes. The first plane had very little damage at all but did run out of fuel and left the board with just enough to limp back to base if it glided some of the way. My German commanded was not happy with me leaving the game and did suggest that I would be court-marshalled when we got back to the hanger. Personally I think I needed to leave with the fuel I had left or else I would not make it back to the hanger, and neither would the plane.

So I started another plane again an Albatross DIII this did get a few more holes in it but by the same token it did put more holes in the British planes. I hasten to add that my planes either singally or together gid more damage than they received. so I think they performed well and did all that was required. I did not shoot anyone down and neither was I shot down. So just an OK flight with no disasters and no going back to base for tea and medals.

That's it for today. And I will be back as the paint this morning.

Kindly let me know if you want Mad max or Back of Beyond next. I should have both finished this afternoon and what I do not show Tuesday will get seen on Thursday.

Until then, take care have fun (at least twic as much fun as me if possible) and I will see you all soon.

Cheers Clint





20 comments:

  1. Nice pics and some great insight into the game from your perspective Clint - which is one of the main reasons I read your blog :-) "Mad Max" for me, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Blax. MM it will be. Just the base to finish at present.

      Delete
  2. It is a long, long time since I played any WW1 dogfighting. It is period I enjoy reading about so thanks for sharing.

    I also vote for "Mad Max" next, please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the days of the "Immelmann turn" :-) Same as Bryan, it's a long, long time since I played any WW1 air combat games so thanks for the memory Clint.
    Since we've had a bit of "Blue Max" this post, I also vote "Mad Max" for the next post please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Addict. I feel if the terrain was better I would enjoy the game more.

      Just a very little to do and then the Mad Max Pick up will be finished (for now)

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't have minded playing in that game, myself. Seeing the terrain board has given me an idea of how to create such for myself, should I ever have a need.

    Go on then, I'll follow Simon and Bryan and vote Mad Max. Though, since I also like BoB ,it's not really an issue if that pops up next instead :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy I too have thought about making a WW1 aircraft board, BUT I flit from project far too much without starting yet another NEW project.

      Mad max Pick up truck WILL be the next post!

      Delete
  5. Fun looking game....back of Beyond for me 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. The joy is both will be shown, but I will show the Mad Max car next and the BoB on Thursday. Maybe if I pull my finger out more BoB after that..... As I am currently painting another squad of Indians and it will be good to show the whole force. So that is currently the plan for Saturday.

      Delete
  6. My first interest was WW1 aircraft, so I'm always delighted to see anything about them :-) .

    I've yet to be convinced by *any* set of dogfight rules, though. It seems to me that situational awareness (or lack of it) is at the heart of plane-to-plane combat and there's no easy way to model this in a tabletop game. Prove me wrong, please :-) ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you C6. Having never flown a plane (let alone in combat) I cannot either prove you right or wrong. All I can say is we enjoy the canvas eagles rules as a club. They are free so CHEAP to try. You may like them and you may well hate them, I cannot say it is all personal choice.

      Delete
  7. Interesting game Clint, if you enjoyed playing that is the main thing, like you would like a nicer looking setting but I guess it depends on each persons preference

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dace we do not play it at the club all that very often. Maybe if we did I would make better boards. Who knows!

      Delete
  8. One of my first loves in wargames was WW1 Air games though few sets of rules I found have managed to capture the atmosphere this type of game should generate (I wrote my own eventually). This set of rules though does sound good and your two bloodless flights sounded great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. The rules are free so it cost nothing to look at them and then if you choose try them.

      Or you could try "Blue Max" which is slightly simpler (played 2 d and not with altitude.) Played on line (Again free) at "http://www.youplay.it/default.asp"
      I play a little each day there and My game name is "Dirtyfocker1" should you want game.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that info Clint,; I'll probably take you up on it too, but not for a while (It seems I have more 'important taks' to do for Xmas, rather than playing computer games!)

      Delete
    3. If you do want to try Blue Max drop me an email and I will sort out a private game of two.

      Delete
  9. Looks like a fun little game. Thanks for showing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Warrior. As a club we do play a lot of periods. And we never seem to settle. I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing. At least we do not get bored.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.