Saturday 3 December 2016

William Hicks. (Painted)

After the close of the 1882 Anglo-Egyptian War, he entered the Khedive'service and was made a fellahin of Arabi's disbanded troops, sent in chains from Egypt. After a month's vigorous drilling Hicks led 5000 of his men against an equal force of dervishes in Sennar, whom he defeated, and cleared the country between the towns of Sennar and Khartoum of rebels.
pasha. In 1881,Sudan was controlled by Egypt; Muhammad Ahmad proclaimed himself Mahdi and began conquering neighboring territory and thus threatening the precarious Egyptian control of the territory. Early in 1883 he went to Khartoum as chief of the staff of the army there, then commanded by Suliman Niazi Pasha. Camp was formed at Omdurman and a new force of some 8000 fighting men
collected—mostly recruited from the
1883 The Egyptian ministry, however, did not then believe in the power of the mahdi, and the expedition started from Khartoum on 9 September. It was made up of 7000 infantry, 1000 cavalry and 2000 camp followers and included thirteen Europeans. On the 10th the force left the Nile at Duem and struck inland across the almost waterless wastes of Kordofan for Obeid. On 5 November the army, misled by possibly treacherous guides and thirst-stricken, was ambushed in dense forest at Kashgil, 30 miles south of Obeid. With the exception of some 300 men the whole force was killed. (See the
Battle of El Obeid).
According to the story of Hicks's cook, one of the survivors, the general was the last officer to fall, pierced by the spear of the khalifa Mahommed Sherif. After emptying his revolver the pasha kept his assailants at bay for some time with his sword, a body of Baggara who fled before him being known afterwards as "Baggar Hicks" (the cows driven by Hicks), a play on the words baggara and baggar, the former being the herdsmen and the latter the cows. Hicks's head was cut off and taken to the mahdi.

Well that is the history. This is a Perry Miniatures 28mm figure and has one of the best sculpted horses I have ever painted. The whole figure is very nice but I was particularly fond of the horse. Yes it is painted for Matt and is now part of his Colonial collection. I hope to put a few of my own figures on the blog tomorrow. (Shhhhs! Don't tell anyone). So until then have fun paint things and if possible play a game or maybe 2.

All the best Clint

19 comments:

  1. Nice work Clint and an interesting character to be sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. There are more to come. I should have 3 Egyptian officers finished by Monday, ready to Blog on Tuesday.

      As mentioned I am unable to comment on YOUR Blog at present. But I do want you to be aware that I do look at it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Martin. Perhaps something different tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Excellent work - I am missing my painting desk while here in London on business

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miles. It is only yesterday I retrieved my mojo for painting. It has been lacking for a good 6 months. It has not stopped me but it has both slowed me and made me feel something was missing. But hopefully back in time to the AHPC!

      Delete
  4. Great model, great paint-job and great back-story Clint!! What a cracking post!!! Looking forward to seeing your next posting very much indeed ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I hope you are not disappointed. As the two figures were inspired by you.

      Delete
  5. He was quite the chap. Nicely presented and finished, Clint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy. There is much to admire in the man. And the figure was a pleasure to paint.

      Delete
  6. You're right Clint, it's a lovely horse figure, thanks for the additional history of the man I always find these tidbits interesting :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andy. Just a cut and paste from the Wiki. So no big deal.

      Delete
  7. I must admit that the first thing that struck me about this post was that horse1 - Superbly sculpted (and painted). he Hicks expedition was one of those scenarios that drew me to Sudan games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe. The Perry miniatures horses are very nice indeed. It really was a pleasure to paint up. (I have done 3 more since!)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. Painting NICE figures really is a joy.

      Delete
  9. Very nice... now send him along with a few friends .... I have a few Mahdists who want to meet up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave I have a few friends on the painting table (as you Know). But William is not looking for any new friends at present.

      Delete
  10. I'm someone who has lived a life seemingly in the background, I must say this final indignity I have suffered almost too much to endure. You see, I have been sickly and weak since the day I was born and doomed to go through all my life a weakling. I seemed to have always suffered from one illness or another and could never play with the other children as I so desperately wanted to. Mother always made such a big fuss over me, also, making the situation worse as the other boys teased me mercilessly after they saw it. I was browsing  the internet searching on how i could be transformed into a powerful when i came across the email of a man named Lord Mark. who was a VAMPIRE so I told him that I has always dreamed of becoming a  VAMPIRES, All i did was just to follow the procedure that i was been told, and i bet you that procedure I took change my entire life to something i ever desire, freedom, sickness free, pains free, fame, influence, connections and even more that i can. Thanks to Lord Mark. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment.